Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fredric Jameson and Gary Hill

When I first began reading the Fredric Jameson article, I was excited. Reading the opening about architecture at first made me think of several ways I could possibly apply this to my pyramid in my thesis, especially since I'm not that great at architecture design. Then the article began talking about the three entrances to the big fancy hotel, two of which only went to elevators. To me, that just seems kind of like a dumb joke on the architect's part, but then the article treated it like it was this big brilliant piece of artistic expression, namely Post modernist. I hate post modern thinking. To me it's just a cope out by artists to make cruddy art. Matter of fact, I feel that just grouping artists and art into categories is wrong, and we should in fact value individual artists and their ideas, and not try to make them part of a "movement." Hence why this article frustrated me so much. It was like they made a big deal out of absolutely nothing.

Now to the Gary Hill article. First off I want to start by saying I've never really been big on film instillation work. I've always found a lot of it boring and engaging. To me, this article only struck my fancy because it made me think of haunted/ fun houses, and how those are just entertaining. I almost in a way wish that all video instillations could be just a pure entertaining experience. I just feel that for a video instillation to really work it has to be able to really catch a views attention long enough so they don't just pass it by and think "oh, that was cool" then five minutes later forget about it. It should be able to hold them around by invoking a strong emotion, and not just by using neat light tricks and cooky sounds. 

No comments: